Saturday, December 31, 2011

MG Sandrock WIP (legs)

Before 2011 ends..I wanna share my latest update to my Master Grade Sandrock that I'm currently doing now. It took me some time to finish the legs because I had some problems painting the right leg. I almost ruined a part of it. I even broke a part on it's knee. Those mistakes taught me the dos and don'ts when it's time to paint the left leg.

For the feet, I mixed Tamiya XF53 neutral grey with Tamiya X4 blue. I also add a liitle Tamiya X1 black and Tamiya X2 white unitl I got my desired color. For the yellow parts, I simply used Tamiya X8 lemon yellow. The white parts which makes the most of the parts for the legs had a couple of coats. First after putting primer, I painted them with TOA Spray paint white. I then painted it with RJ Clear Metallic.

Once all of the parts have been painted, I gave them some panel lines using 0.1 pigment ink. The next step was putting the decals and stickers to their respective places, and dry brush some parts with Tamiya XF20 medium grey enamel. I top coat them with RJ Dull Lacquer. I then built the two legs. However I also found some flaws in my scratched the inner frame causing it to expose the original color of it.

Building gunplas is fun and exciting, but sometimes upsetting especially when you don't get what you really wanted. It is a continuous learning process wherein you can apply the lessons that you've learned from your previous work to your next project.

Happy New Year to everyone!!! Let's keep on building gunplas! :)

Monday, December 12, 2011

MG Sandrock WIP (inner frame)

Last mid of November, I got the latest addition to my gunpla collection - the MG Sandrock. This kit is the fourth Master Grade installment for the protagonists of Gundam Wing series.

I started building it at once. I started with all the inner frame first. I wanted to make it look more real by making it metallic but I don't have anymore Mr. Hobby acqueous steel so I just decided to prime it with Tamiya gloss black and followed by Tamiya gun metal. I love it's new and improved color. Below is the comparison.

Painting the parts hides their original plastic look
The painted leg (left) vs the unpainted leg (right)

I also repainted it's weapon. For the beam machinegun and the handles of the heat shotel I used Tamiya flat black for it's base coat and applied Tamiya gun metal after that. As for the heat shotel's blades..I primed it with Tamiya metallic grey, and topped with Tamiya titanium silver.

Sandrock's main weapon - the heat shotel (handles not yet painted)

 After couple of days building and painting the inner is it's new look :)